Acoustic Emission is a phenomenon whereby transient elastic waves are generated by e.g. plastic deformation, crack propagation, erosion, corrosion, impact, leakage.
Once a transient elastic wave is generated it will propagate in its medium and eventually reach a surface. The interaction of the transient elastic wave with a surface will cause surface motion. Acoustic emission sensors mounted on the surface are able to pick up the faintest surface motion and convert it into an electrical signal. This electrical signal can be processed and features extracted.
Multi Channel Systems
Vallen AMSY-6 is our fully digital multi-channel AE-measurement system that provides 4 types of measurement data:
- hit data: data that is generated when the AE-signal exceeds the threshold
- status data: data that is generated in regular time intervals
- parametric data: data of external parametric sensors which are measured at regular time intervals. Parametric data is stored with every hit and at user specified time intervals.
- waveform data: sampled AE-sensor signal.
Low Frequency Sensors (20 – 100 kHz)
Piezoelectric AE-sensors with preamplifiers. The low frequency response makes them especially suited for monitoring large objects or objects made of highly attenuating material.
- tank floor corrosion and leak detection
- leak detection in pipelines
- partial discharge detection
- integrity testing of concrete structures
Standard Frequency Sensors (100 – 400 kHz)
Piezoelectric AE-sensors with a frequency response characterized by a peak at 150 kHz where it exhibits a resonance. Some of these sensors have an integrated preamplifier while others can operate in a maximum water depth of 100 due to the full metal housing. They are suitable for almost all AE application.
Piezoelectric AE-sensors with integrated preamplifier. Their frequency response is characterized by a peak at 150 kHz where they exhibit a resonance. They can operate under water up to 60 bar of water pressure.
Sensors for high / low temperature
Piezoelectric AE-sensors with a frequency response characterized by a peak at 160 kHz where they exhibit a resonance. They are suitable for hot environments (up to 180°C) and specially suited for inspection of pressure vessels.
Piezoelectric AE-sensors with integrated preamplifier based on intrinsically safe electronic design making them suitable for installation in ATEX zone 0 environment.
High Frequency Sensors (>400 kHz)
Piezoelectric AE-sensors with integrated preamplifier. Their frequency response is characterized by a peak at 150 kHz where they exhibit a resonance.
SCAELM-P1 – Single Channel AE-Measurement Device
First portable single channel AE-measurement device to acquire, display and store RMS and frequency spectrum data with a smartphone.
- Compatible with all passive sensors from Vallen Systeme (bandwidth; low frequency; etc)
- Simultaneous calculation of FFT and RMS
- Position and temperature sensor for data logging applications
- CCT programable (Coupling Check Transmitter) for permanent installation
- Compatible with Android and Microsoft
- Open-communication interface